Pages

▼

Monday, December 19, 2011

Cinnamon Stick Nativity Ornaments

 I love these nativities.  I wish I could take the credit for coming up with their design....but I can't.  My mom taught me to make them...and her sister taught her to make them....etc.  But, they are BEAUTIFUL and always a HUGE hit at the annual ornament exchange I attend.  So...I thought I would share the joy and teach y'all how to make them.


Here's what you need:

 5 cinnamon sticks, about 3 inches each

1 whole star anise (find in bulk spice section or latin markets)

2 pieces of star anise

3 whole cloves (just need the little ball part)

1 small piece of cinnamon stick

raffia

glue gun

Step #1
Glue bottom of stable to sides
(leaving a little overhang allows for easier raffia installation)
(also, for this step, I try to find sticks that have a nice definite line down the middle)

Step #2
add two stick of cinnamon for the roof--
one at a time; lined sides facing down

(this is where you can use your cinnamon stick that either

don't have a nice line down them or are twisted)

Step #3
tying the raffia--
what you are looking for is a crisscross in the front

(it's kinda hard to describe exactly how to do it...just play with it until you get it.)
tie in the back and cover the knot with a dab of glue
if it seems to be slipping off...place a small dab of glue on the side to secure it
then, trim the excess raffia

(repeat on all 4 corners)


it should look like this on the back when you are all done with this step

 


Step #4

Glue on the star (anise)

Step #5
putting together Joseph, Mary and the baby Jesus
for Joseph-
break down an extra cinnamon stick until thin; glue on a clove ball
For Mary-
look for a taller, thinner piece of star anise (as compared to the baby Jesus)
turn in on it's end; glue on a clove ball 
For baby Jesus-
(I forgot to take a picture)
find a shorter, wider piece of star anise (as compared to Mary); 
turn it on it's side; add a clove ball

This is what they should look like all together-
(keep in mind that they should be both proportionate to one another and also the stable)

Step #6
Glue the Holy Family into the stable
(turn around to the back and secure them by adding more glue 
where it won't be seen from the front)
Step #7
tie a loop of raffia for the ornament hanger; 
glue on the back.
Trim any excess raffia and pull off any hanging glue strings
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!
(please excuse my ugly tree)


This is a very forgiving craft (which is why I love it).  
They are meant to be a little rustic and so perfectionism is not needed here.
Do what you like...what looks good to you.


They will be beautiful no matter what!


HAVE FUN!

6 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous!! But way too crafty for me (I am craft challenged). Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a cute and pretty simple idea. I am pinning this for the future because I know I won't get to it before Christmas this year. These would be awesome to put with neighbor gifts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for the great how to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa helped me make these ornaments this year for all my friends! I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I never thought about making my own nativity scene. I'll have to save this for next year!

    ReplyDelete